Wednesday 8 June 2011

Introduction

 I  have  to  admit   I  don't  really  know  where  I'm  going  with  this  one.  It's  an  outgrowth  from  the albums  and  footballers  blogs  in  that  for  both  I  went  back  to  preserved   old  notebooks  to  ensure  I  got  the  order  right. This  reminded  me  that  I  had  another  old  notebook  that  I  (sometimes)  took  along  on  the  Saturday  trips  in  the  late  70s  with  my  friends  that  remain  the  happiest  memories  of  my  childhood  mainly  to  record  the  names  of  pubs  that  we  passed  on  the  journey.

I  think  the  original  idea  was  inspired  by  my  youthful   membership  of  Littleborough  Historical  Socity  though  whether  it  was  from  attending  an  evening  lecture  or  an  article  in  their  newsletter  I  can't  now  recall. Allied  to  the  hstorical  interest  was  the  enduring  "forbidden  fruit"  allure  of  the  pub  to  a  13 year  old  in  the  70s  particularly  one  whose  father  was  a  teetotaller   (  blaming   drink  for  his  father's  bankruptcy and  thus his  own  more  modest  than  expected  lifestyle ).

So  I  guess  it's  the  attraction  of  picking  up  a  project   from  those  halcyon  days  and  following  through  on  it  by  seeing  whether  they're  still  there  30+  years  later. Of  course  the  current , rapid  demise  of  the  pub  generally  gives  an  added  impetus. And  of  course  the  research  will  be  fun  !  So  here  goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment