Thursday 30 June 2011

9 The Queen's Hotel - Littleborough


First  visited : circa  1989

This  second  clutch  of  pubs  was  recorded  in  the  book  the  following  week  when  Patrick  and  I , now  accompanied  by  a  third  schoolmate,  Steve  Meehan,  went  to  Bolton  Museum. As  this  entailed  catching two  buses  through  three  towns  it  is  a  much  larger  batch. It's  also  quite  probable  that,  frantically  recording  them  on  a  fast  bus  ( the  400  between  Rochdale  and  Bolton  was  a  limited  stop )  we  missed  one  or  two  out.

The  first  few  were  still  in  Littleborough  and  the  first  was  The  Queen's  on  the  left  hand  side  of  the  A58  just  after  leaving  the  square. The  Queen's  is  a  fairly  small  high  street  pub  nestling  up  to  the  Yorkshire  Bank. It  has  an  1861  datestone.

I  first  went  in  around  1989.  As  previously  described  the  old  pool  room  gang  in  the  Red  Lion  began  to dissolve  that  year. The  sandwich  dispute  was  one  factor ; another  was  one  of  the  girlfriends  cheating  and  getting  slung  out  by  her  guy. We  also  had  to  contend  with  an  arrogant   young wanker  coming  over  from   Ripponden on  the  bus  and  putting  his  initials  on  the  board. None  of  us  engaged  with  him  but  he  didn't  take  the  hint  and  eventually  set  up  a  new  pool  team  for  Dave.

Sean  started  drinking  in  the  Queen's  instead  and  invited  me  to  join  him  for  a  one-off  quiz  with  a   young  couple  he  knew  from  there.  Inside  it  was  quite  friendly  and  welcoming  which  was  a  nice  surprise. We  did  well  in  the  quiz  but  what  I  remember  most  was  his  friend's  wife  writing  down  the  answers  and  her  spelling  being  absolutely  atrocious. I  was  appalled  when  I  realised  she  was  a  teacher !

Another  regular  at  the  Queen's  at  that  time  was  the  chairman  of  the  Littleborough  Historical  Society,   Alan  Luke. As  I'm  referencing  his  book  A  History  Of  Littleborough  Pubs  ( albeit  the  substantially  extended  version  published  thirteen  years  after  his  death )  and  he  was  probably  a  big  influence  on  my  starting  the  list  in  the  first  place   he  deserves  a word  or  two.  Alan  was  a  teacher  by  profession ( not  at  my  school  though )   and  very  keen  to  encourage  my  interest  in  local  history   when  I  joined  the  society  in  1977. Earlier  in  1978  we'd  written  a  history  trail  together  which  had  the  unfortunate  by-product  of  ending  my  association  with  Brian  Clarke's  son  ( see  previous  post )  as  he  lost  interest  in  the  project early  on.  After  that,  my  interest  in  the  Historical  Society  ebbed  over  the  years  according  to  what  else  was  going  on  but  after  starting  to  attend  their  public  meetings  once  again   in  1988  I  agreed  to  go  on  their  committee  and saw  him  more  regularly .

I  noted  a  bit  of  a  change  in  Alan. He  was  a  bachelor  who  still  lived  with  his  mother  and  in  middle  age  he  was  starting  to  acquire  an  air  of  self-importance  and  crankiness,  speculating  on  the  existence  of  Bronze  Age  barrows  in  Littleborough  on  the  scantiest  of  evidence. Sean  himself  described  him  as  "a  funny  bloke".  When  he  led  the  society  into  renting  a  town  centre  building  for  a  museum  on  a  very  shaky  financial  prospectus   I  made  good  my  escape  and  resigned, wishing  them  well  in  1992.  Besides  the  finances  I  was  worried  about  his  health.  He  was  a  bit  overweight , smoked  heavily  and  liked  a  drink or  two   although  I  never  saw  him  blind  drunk. My  worst  fears  were  realised  just  months  later  when he  collapsed  at  a  school  assembly and  died  the  same  day. I  went  to  his  memorial  service,  a  sad  occasion  marred  by  a  rather  self-serving  address  from  his  headmistress  who  seemed  to  be  using  the  occasion  to  advertise the  school's  prowess  in  technology. Sadly  the  museum  had  to  close  not  long  afterwards  and  the  society  was  taken  over  by  his  sister's  family,  none  of  whom  I  regard  as  highly  as  Alan  himself  but  at  least  they  keep  his  memory  alive.

Sean's  frequenting  of  The  Queen's  also  led  to  an  enjoyable  annual  challenge  football  match  between  a  team  picked  by  him  and  a  Red  Lion  XI  led  by  me  ( or  else  I  would  never  have  been  in  the  team  ! )  and  largely  made  up  of  Giddins  lads  . The  series  of  games  ran  from  1989  to  1993  and  I  won  it  4-1,  Sean's  lone  triumph  coming  in  1992. We  tried  it  in  1994  but  could  barely  raise  10  players  between  us. Fortunately  I   had  an  inkling  I  might  be  short  and  asked  my  friend  Mark  from  the   Rochdale   Supporter's  team  to  come  with  a  couple  of  players. Instead  he  brought  10  so  I  ended  up  playing  on  the  same  side  as  Sean  against  them,  going  down  to  a  narrow  defeat.  Some  months  later  we  had  a  sort  of  return  game  in  Rochdale  but  without  the  Giddins  lads  involved  we  went  down  28-2  and  I've  never  attempted  to  play  football  since.

No comments:

Post a Comment