Saturday 25 June 2011

2 The Wheatsheaf - Littleborough


First  visited :  1989

The  Wheatsheaf  is  one  of  the  three  pubs  right  in  the  centre  of  Littleborough  , commonly  known  as  "The  Square"  though  it's  never  really  conformed  to  that  description. The  bus  we  needed  to  catch  to  get  to  the  start  of  the  walk  set  off  from  the  far  side  of  Halifax  Road  so  we  had  to  walk  past  it. Also  part  of  the  same  building - the  Roundhouse - was  and  is  a  small  newsagents  and  we  went  in  there to  buy  Tizer  and  Space  Dust  ( fortunately  neither  of  us  exploded ) .

The  Roundhouse  looks  Georgian  but  was  actually  built  in  1869  replacing  an  earlier  version  of  the  pub.

For  a  long  time  I  consciously  boycotted  this  pub  because  the  landlord  from  1976  was  a  guy  called  Moss  who  had  two  sons  in  special  education  and  they  were  both  deeply  unpleasant  towards  me  ( I  dread  to  think  what  they're  up  to  now ) . There  was  no  way  I  was  giving  them  any  custom. I  then  had  a  dilemna  in  1989  when  the  pool  team  I  was  playing  in  decided  to  decamp  to  The  Wheatsheaf  instead  ( the  full  story  to  come  in  another  post  very  shortly ).  I  therefore  had  to  go  in  - in  fact  Moss  had  gone  by  that  time - but  my  heart  was  never  really in  it  there  and  I  only  stayed  for  one  season.

Inside  it  was  rather  dingy. With  its  size  and  location  it  should  have  been  really  smart  but  perhaps  the  proximity  of  other  pubs  deterred  investment.

I  think  the  next  time  I  went  in  was  April  1995  for  a  blind  date  about  which  I  wasn't  at  all  enthusiastic. Not  only  was  she  a  bit  older  than  I  wanted , she  actually  lived  in  Littleborough  which  didn't  appeal  either - I  didn't  want  to  bump  into  any  of  these  girls  again  if  it  didn't  work  out. Nor  did  I  particularly  want  to  meet  in  The  Wheatsheaf  but  she  had  made  the  effort  to  phone  me  so  I  agreed. It  wasn't  a  success. Not  only  was  she  a  single  mother  with  kids  and  zero  in  common  with  me,  she  was  the  daughter  of  a  farmer  I'd  crossed  swords  with  over  footpath  matters   although,  thinking  about  it  now,  the  fact  she  didn't  live  at  his  farm  despite  its  size  suggests  she  didn't  like  him  much  either. To  make  things  worse  a  guy  who  I  vaguely  recognised  from  my  usual  pub  spent  all  evening  glaring  at  us  - I  guess  it  was  "How  dare  that  weedy guy  have  a  woman  and  not  me ?"  I  survived  unscathed  but  we  never  hooked  up  again. I  once  passed  her  on  the  street  and  there  was   a  quick  exchange  of  recognition. I  later  heard  that  one  of  her  kids  had  been  run  over ; I  hope  he/she  recovered.

Shortly  after  that  the  pub  quiz  team  I'd  been  in  disbanded  as  my  mum  was  the  only  member  who  wanted  to  continue.  However,  once  the  new  season  got  started  my  friend  Mark  asked  me  to  fill  in  for  someone  on  The  Wheatsheaf's  team.  As  is  the  way  with  these  things  I  ended  up  playing  more  often  than  not. My  mum   understandably  wasn't  too  happy  at  this  result  so  the  following  year  when  I  had  college  on  a  Monday  night  I  suggested  she  take  my  place. She  played  for  them  for  a  season  so  probably  my  last  visit  was  in  1997  to take  her  home. On  one  occasion  they'd  been  wound  up  by  a  young  scrote in  the  pub and  her  team-mate  Gordon,  normally  a  genial  guy of  around  50,  had  completely  lost  it  and  run  out  after  him  and  they  were  fighting  in  the  street. My  friend  Sean  ( mentioned  in  my  other  blogs ) and  his  mate  who  were  just  passing  by broke  it  up   ( I  suspect  his  mate  took  the  lead  in  that )  and  he  was  very  amused  to  find  my  mum  sort-of  involved.

At  the  time  of  writing  it's  just  re-opened  after  a  long  time  shut  and  has  finally  been  spruced  up  a  bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment