Wednesday 29 June 2011

8 The White House - Littleborough


First  visited : 9  September 1977

The  White  House  was  the  last  pub  to  go  in  the  little  red  book that  morning  as  it  was  the  starting  point  for  the  walk  and  the  bus  stop  was  just  outside  it.

The  White  House  is  Littleborough's  best  known  pub. Due  to  its  hilltop  location  just  inside  the  border  with  Yorkshire   and  gleaming  whitewashed  walls  it's  visible  from  many  places  in  southern  Lancashire  and  Greater  Manchester. It's  also  a  major  landmark  on  the  Pennine  Way.The  White  House  ( sometimes  known  as  the  Coach  and  Horses  but  that  wasn't  its  original  name)  has  been  a  pub  since  1840.

The  reason  for  my  first  visit  which  made  it  the  third  pub  I'd  been  in  (  after  one  in  the  Lake  District  a  month  earlier )  goes  back  to  my  early  days  in  Littleborough  Civic  Trust. I'd  first  heard  of  the  Trust  when  my  friend's  dad  Brian  Clarke  took  us  into  an  exhibition  it  was  holding  in  1976  and  he  signed  up  as  a  member. Little  over  a  year  later  he  temporarily  took  over  from  the  aforementioned  John  Hindle  as  Footpaths  Secretary  while  the  latter  was  courting. As  such  he  was  contacted  to  assist  the  Mayor,  a  Councillor  John  Collinge  who  was  doing  a  sponsored  walk  around  the  borough  of  Rochdale. Brian  would  act  as  his  guide  on  the  Littleborough  sections  over  two  days. Myself  and  his  own  son Michael  would  tag  along.

The  White  House  used  to  represent  a  major  milestone  on  the  Pennine  Way  marking  the  end  of  the  dark  and  challenging   peat  moors  and  the  start  of  a  relatively  easy  and  more  verdant  stretch  up  to  Malham.. In  the  last  couple  of  decades  diversions  and  the  use  of  stone  flagging  to  prevent  further  erosion  of  the  peat  have  completely  neutered  the  early  stages  but  in  1977  the  White  House  came  shortly  after  a  grim  and  boggy  stretch  across  Redmires  Moss. I  had  read  about  it  and  regarded  crossing  it  on  the  fiirst  day  with  some  trepidation  but  it  wasn't  too  bad  if  you  were  agile  enough  to jump  across  the  bad  patches. The  Mayor  was  quite  friendly  towards  us  and  made  us  feel  important.The  second  day's  walk  started  from  the  pub  and  the  whole  party  were  invited  in  at  the  start  although  I  was  restricted  to  lemonade.

Once  old  enough  I  used  to  go  in  fairly  regularly  often  in  the  company  of  Lincoln  Jackson  a  local  shopkeeper  and  stalwart  of  the  Trust. He  knew  the  landlord  Neville  and  we  often  stayed  quite  late  there.  I  think  another  attraction  for  Lincoln, a   notorious  ladies'  man  , was  a  drop dead  gorgeous  barmaid  called  Kathy  who  was  working  there  to  finance  her  flying  lessons. It  was   (hopefully  still  is)  a  wonderful  place  to  be  when  the  weather  is  atrocious outside   with  a  warm  welcoming  ambience  and  a  relaxed  clientele. On  a  clear  night  there's  a  wonderful  view  of  the  street  lights  of  Greater  Manchester  spread  out  before  you,Neville  was/ is  a  noted  chef  so   it  was  a  very  good  place  to  have  a  meal  too. I  arranged  a  couple  of  Christmas  meals  there for  the  Trust's  Footpaths  Group  in  1987  and  1988. I  also  went  up  there  in  1994 with  a  girl  called  Dawn  who'd  been  corresponding  with  me  for  a  while  but  our  actual  meeting  up  was  disappointing. My  old  school  friend  Francis  was  up  there  with  his  parents  which  was  rather  awkward  as  I  didn't  know  how  to  introduce  her.

Sadly  the  last  time  I  saw  Lincoln  was  at  our  wedding  reception  in  1997. He  died  sat  in  his  chair  at  home  a  few  weeks  later. With  moving  out  of  the  area  I  no  longer  frequented  the  place  but  Julie  and  I  did  go  up  there  in  2001  for  a  meal  with  my  mum  and  her  new  man  friend  Roger  at  her  suggestion. I  wasn't  particularly  looking  forward  to  it  because  while  I  thought  he  was  basically  decent  I  found  his  long-winded  Quaker  moralising  tiresome  and  Julie  was  convinced  my  mum  wasn't  being  entirely  honest  about  the  nature  of  their  relationship. However  it  was  bearable  and  the  meal  was  as  good  as  ever.

My  last  special  visit  ( I  think  I  may  have  popped  in  for  a  post-walk  drink  since ) came  in  the  autumn  of  2005. My  friend  and  colleague  in  the  Bolton  Outdoor  Group ,Anup  Mehta  wanted  to  celebrate  the  30th  anniversary  of  his  walking  the  Pennine  Way  and  was  discussing  possible  venues  with  me. I  suggested  The White  House  which  he  went  for  and  asked  me  to  send  out  invitations  to  the  Group  members. Around  8  or  9  from  the  Group  turned  out  alongside  his  other  friends  and  family. The  pre-meal  walk  had  to  be  shortened  due  to  the  poor  weather  but  we  were  dry  enough  to  enjoy  his  slideshow  and  the  buffet  which  surprisingly  was  the  most  disappointing  meal  I've   had  up  there. I  was  a  bit  miffed  when  Anup  left  me  out  of  his  acknowledgements  though.

For  the  next  clutch  of  pubs  in  the  book  we  head  along  the  A58  in  the  other  direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment