Sunday 26 June 2011

5 The Red Lion - Littleborough


First  visited :  July  1985

So  now  we're  on  the  Halifax-bound  bus  ( number  27  I  think )   going  under  the  railway  viaduct  and  the  Red  Lion  is  just  the  other  side  of  it. Although  the  building  itself  doesn't  look  that  old  there  has  been  a  pub  on  the  site  since  at  least  1626  and  there  are  records  of  auctions, inquests  and  shareholders'   meetings  being  held  there.

Now  this  is  a  tricky  one  to  write. The  Red  Lion  was  my  regular  haunt  between  1985  and  1997  and  as  you  can  imagine  I  saw  a  lot   and  heard  more  in  that  time.  I'll  have  to  judge  carefully  what's  verifiable  before  posting  particularly  as  the  landlord  is  still  there.

The  Red  Lion  first  came  to  my  attention  while  I  was  still  at  school  either  1982  or  1983. The  recently-installed  landlord  was  prosecuted  for  selling  drinks  to  underage  teens  and  one  of  my  schoolmates  was  a  witness ( for  which  he  received  a  rare  lifetime  ban  from  the  premises ) . I  later  learned  it  was  notorious  for  this  ; the  joke  was  that  it  was  the  only  youth  club  in  Littleborough  with  a  licence.

I  first  went  in  in  the  summer  of  1985  after  one  of  Rochdale's  pre-season  games possibly  the  7-0  thrashing  by  Burnley  although  that  seems  a  little  too  neat  a  story; I  think  it  may  have  been  the  one  before. Anyhow  the  brief  visit  revealed  that  it  had  my  favourite  cider  ( Gaymer's  Original )   on   draught  so  that  made  it  my  local. It  also  had  the  advantage  that, being  separated  from  the  town  centre  by  the  railway  it  never  became  rowdy  and  the  regular  clientele  seemed  civilised. It  was  quite  pleasant  in  an  old-fashioned  way  inside  but  always  seemed  slightly  shabby.

At  first  there  was  one  drawback  ; it  was  also  the  regular  of  the  Giddins's  a  huge  Catholic  Preston-supporting  family , the  younger  lads  of  which  had  given  me  a  ribbing  throughout  my  later school  days. This  continued  for  a  bit  when  I  began  frequenting  the  pub  but  gradually  it  turned  into  football  rivalry  and  we  started  to  become  mates. The  process  culminated  in  October  1986  when  I  was  in  there  on  a  Sunday  night  with  my  old  Travelling  Society  cohorts  Mick  and  Sean  (  a  weekly  rendez -vous ) and  the  former  walked  out  because  Sean  and  I  were  talking  too  much  football  with  the  Giddins  boys.

When  Sean  subsequently  stopped  going  in  there  regularly  I  transferred  to  the  pool  room  where  the  Giddins  lads  sat  and  gradually  got  to  know  the  other  regulars  in  there. I  had  problems  with  one  guy  who  lived  across  the  road  from  the  pub  but  even  he  became  OK  after  a  while. I  wasn't  one  of  the  better  pool  players  in  the  room  but  won  enough  games  to  be  taken  reasonably  seriously. Sunday  nights  at  the  Red  Lion  became  Friday  and  Saturday  nights  too.

Of  course  becoming  a  regular  there  I  made  the  acquaintance  of  the  landlord  Dave . He  was  a  rum  character  often  contradictory. He  was  notoriously  mean  but  seemed  to  like  me  despite  the  fact  I  hardly  spent  anything  there; sometimes  he'd  badger  other  people  in  the  room to  drink  faster  without  bothering  me  at  all. He  was  a  big  guy,  of  saturnine  appearance  with  his  black  beard, drove  an  SUV  and  had  a  monster  dog  yet  sometimes  revealed  interests  you  wouldn't   expect. His  general  mode  was  bear  with  a  sore  head  which  many  attributed  to  his  wife  about  whom  I'll  apply  my  old  headmistress's  maxim  - if  you  can't  say  anything  nice  .... There  were  some  scurrilous  rumours  which  can't  be  repeated  but  one  thing  is  indisputable; they  re-engaged  their  bloody  awful  singer  as  soon  as  he  got  out  of  clink  for  sexual  offences. On  the  plus  side  there  were  one  or  two  nice  barmaids  a  girl  called  Charlotte  who  was  cute  in  a  student-y  way  and  a  girl  with  glasses  whose  name  I  can't  remember  but  whose  tight  black T-shirt/ no  bra  combo  I  certainly  can.

In  1988  I  was  invited  into  the  squad  for  the  Littleborough  pool  league. I  was  rarely  trusted  to  play  in  the  actual  fixtures  but  invariably  got  a  turn  in  the  money  games  played  afterwards. Through  that  I  made  the  acquaintance  of  the  Giddins  patriarch  Frank, a  really  nice  guy  and  unflappable  ( which  was  a  good  job  for  someone  who'd  had  12  kids ) . I  just  mooted  the  idea  of  a  quiz  team to  him  one  night  and  next  time  I  saw  him  he'd  enlisted  his  old  boss and  his  wife ,  squared  things  with  Dave  and  we  were  off.

That  autumn I  played  in  both  the  Littleborough  Quiz  League  and  the  Rochdale  Pool  League  on  the  same  night  which  was  usually  do-able. However  there  was  a  problem  brewing  with  the  latter  - Dave's  sandwiches. Now  nobody  died  or  got  food  poisoning  but  the  Red  Lion  didn't  do  food  and  his  trays  of  stale  ham  barms  with  the  occasional  corn  beef  one  for  variety  reflected  that. It  started  to  become  awkward  paricularly  after  a  fixture  at  Gulliver's  in  Rochdale  where  we  were  faced  with  a  sumptuous  buffet  we  were  almost  too  embarrassed  to  eat. Eventually  one  of  the  player's  girlfriend  offered  to  do  them  herself  but  Dave  refused  and  the  team  decamped  to  The  Wheatsheaf  instead.

Dave  didn't  hold  me  accountable  for  any  of  that  and  approached  me  about  a  Wilson's  quiz  league  on  a  Sunday  night. Frank  was  on  holiday  at  the  time  but  was  volunteered  by  one  of  his  lads. The  team  was  filled  up  with  my  mum  and  Sean. Dave  took  a  proactive  interest  driving  us  to  away  fixtures  and  acting  as  scoremaster; his  roadhog  driving  over  kerbs  and  mini-roundabouts  was  an  experience  !  Frank  didn't  want  to  do   the  next  Sunday  season  so  we  replaced  him  and  Sean  ( who'd  got  himself  barred  for  swearing  at  Dave  in  an  argument  over  a  fruit  machine ) with  a  couple  of  seasoned  quizzers  from  the  Littleborough  League. We  won  a  couple  of  trophies  over  the  next  two  years  but  the Wilson's  league  eventually  collapsed.

By  that  time  Frank  and  I  had  decamped  the  Monday  night  team  elsewhere  - essentially  it  was  the  sandwich  issue  again. We  were  the  only  team  in  the  League  who  sent  round  a  football  card  to  cover  the  costs  and  one  other  team  in  particular  were  making  a  fuss  about  it . Also  at  long  last  my  social  horizons  were  beginning  to  widen  so  my  visits  to  the  Red Lion  became  much  less  frequent. The  last  one  I  can  recall   was  in  the  summer  of  1997  when  I  took  my  fiance  in  basically  to  show  her  off  and  I  think  it  had  the  desired  effect !  I  was  though  subsequently  disappointed  when  all  the  people  we  invited  to  our  wedding  reception from  the  old  Red  Lion  crowd  declined   ( except  the  one  I'd  engaged  as  photographer)  . It  was  in  Accrington  but  that  was  hardly   a  million  miles  away.  I  don't  think  I've  been  back  in the  Red  Lion since  and  that's  probably  not  a  coincidence. It  looks  just  the  same  though.

No comments:

Post a Comment