Sunday 16 February 2014

76 The Flying Horse - Rochdale



First  visited  : Mid-80s

Now  we're  right  in  the  centre  of  Rochdale. The  Flying  Horse  is  a  huge  pub  in  the  Town  Hall  Square. I  can't  remember  when  I  first  went  in  but  it  was  probably  the  mid-eighties  as  I  often  went  to  games  by  train  from  Littleborough  and  it's  on  the  route (well  one  anyway) between  station  and  stadium.

One  visit  I  can  date  with  certainty  was  on  Friday  4th  February  1994  as  I  used  it  as  a  meeting  point  for  my  leaving  do  from  Tameside  MBC. I  had  often  made  the  trip  to  places  like  Ashton-under-Lyne  and  Stalybridge  for  other  peoples'  so  they  were  coming  to  Rochdale  for  mine !  We  went  on  to  the  long-gone  Dynasty  Chinese  restaurant  opposite  the  bus  station. I  picked  the  Flying  Horse  because  the  Town  Hall  was  probably  the  easiest  landmark  to  find  for  those  not  familiar  with  the  town. The  realisation  that  that  was  twenty  years  ago  now  is  terrifying !

I'm  also  fairly  sure  I  went  in  there  on  my  stag  night  ( 22  November  1997 ).

Perhaps  due  to  its  size  and  situation  the  Flying  Horse  has  always  seemed  to  me  the  classiest  of  the  town  centre  pubs  although  no  doubt  it's  seen  its  moments  over  the  years.  The  current  building  dates  from  1923  but  there  was  an  earlier  pub  of  the  same  name  on  the  site.


No comments:

Post a Comment