Wednesday 30 August 2017

150 New Inn- Ripponden


First  visited  :  3  June  1984

It's  sad  that  this  one   on  the  A58  looking  out  over  Baitings  Reservoir  closed  down  some  years  ago.  I  first  went  in  after  a  Littleborough  Civic  Trust  walk  led  by  the  late  John  Hindle   and  it  was a  nice  quiet  pub  which  did  good  food. I  went  there   with  my  mum  at  least  once. For  a  time  in  the  nineties,  an  attractive  girl  called  Kathy from  Wardle  worked  there  who I  knew  vaguely  through  my  friend  Lincoln  Jackson , a  shopkeeper  in  his  sixties  but  still  with  an  eye  for  a  pretty  girl.

The  eighteenth  century  building  is  a  grade  II  listed  building  and  the  conversion  to  a  private  dwelling  has  been  nicely  done. I  think  that  the  Blue  Ball  Inn  which  looked  down  on  it  from  an  older  and  higher  road  above  has  also  now  bitten  the  dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment