Thursday 10 August 2017

148 Founders Arms - Bolton


First  visited  : September  2011

I  know  this  one . It  was  opposite  Little Bolton  Town  Hall  and  the  place  where  I  normally  park  when  I  go  into  Bolton.

I'm  pretty  sure  this  was   the  pub  where  myself  and  two  other  guys  decamped for  a  drink  after  a  meal  at  a  pizza  restaurant  nearby,  where  I  had   "my"  leaving  do  from  Bolton  MBC  in  September  2011. I put  "my"  in  inverted  commas  because  a  ( very  nice ) girl called  Lorraine   was  leaving  for  the  arms length  housing  company around  the same  time  and  let  me  piggyback  on  her  do.  Out  of  around  20  people  who  attended,  there  was  only  one  guy  that  I  don't  think  would  have  turned  out  for  Lorraine  alone  and  not  many  that  would  have  come  if  it  was  just  for  me. You  have  one  of the  reasons  I  left  right  there.  It  was  a  fairly  joyless  occasion  for  me, just   a  ritual  to  go  through   and  I  felt  very  little  emotion  on  my  way  back  to  the  car.

From  what  I  recall,  the pub  was  quite  nice  and  quiet, a  refuge  from  the  noisier bars  on  Deansgate  so  it's  sad  to  report  it  closed  since  2015. I  believe  it's  going  to  be  converted  into  flats.

This  was  the  last  pub  name  collected  on  that  trip  to  Smithills Hall. We  now  jump to  the  other  side  of  the  Pennines.

No comments:

Post a Comment