Wednesday 24 August 2016

137 The Coaching House - Smithills


First  visited : Spring  1998

Well  we  put  it  in  the  book  but  this  was  always  a  restaurant  rather  than  a  pub.

I  don't  think  you  can  count  sitting  in  the  porch  as  a  visit  so  I  didn't  enter  the  place  until  nearly  twenty  years  later  for  a  meal  with  Manchester  Christian  Social  Group. I  can't  find  it  on  the  printed  programmes  so  it  must  have  been  a  replacement  for  something  else.

It  wasn't  a  happy  occasion. Although  Julie  and  I  were  now  married  she  still  felt  that  the  MCSG  occupied  too  much  of  my  attention  and  the  focus  of  her  ire  was  generally  my  friend  Aamir  the  co-ordinator. He  said  something  that  she  took  exception  to  - almost  certainly  something  very  trivial - and  she  tipped  her  glass  onto  his  food  and  walked  out  into  the  night . I  assumed  she'd  gone  to  the  toilet  and  it  was  some  time  before  I  realised  she  was  no  longer  in  the  building. You'd  have  to  ask  her  why   a  four  mile  walk  back  home  in  high  heels   on  a  cold  dark  night   seemed  preferable  to  our  society.

I  have  a  feeling  we  went  back  there  a  few  years  later  for  a  meal  with  Bolton  Outdoor  Group  but  I  can't  be  bothered  rooting  around  for  the  exact  date.

It  closed in  August  2012 when  the  owners  sold  out  to  property developers.

No comments:

Post a Comment