Saturday 25 January 2014

71 Success To The Plough - Rochdale



First  visited : 25  January  2014

The  next  pub  along   the  A58  is   in  the  Marland   area  of    Rochdale. It's  a large  detatched  redbrick  building  opposite  the  entrance  to  Springfield  Park. I  remember  going  there  ( the  park ) with  my  sister  and  gran  in  1975  just  after  Greater  Manchester  Buses  introduced  a  2p  flat  fare  for  pensioners  and  children  and  still  feeling  a  bit  short  changed. I  think  I've  still  got  a  photo  somewhere  of  my  sister  looking  bored  on  that  little  trip.

I  went  in  with  Simon  after  today's  game. It's  now  a  food  pub  and  it's  immediately  obvious  that  J W  Lees  have  invested  a  few  bob  in  sprucing  it  up  in  the  not  too  distant  past. It's  tastefully  laid  out  with  comfy  seating  and  a  large  dining  room  at  the  back. There  are  framed  black  and  white  photos  of  interesting  looking  customers  on  the  wall  who  include  H.R.H. Prince  Charles  if  I'm  not  mistaken.

Reviews  of  the  food  on  the  web  are  mixed  to  say  the  least  but  what  I  saw  being  served  looked  pretty  good  and it's  not  outrageously  expensive.  It  was  pretty  quiet  for  a  Satuday  evening.

There  were  posters  for  a  |Meat  Loaf  tribute  act  and  I  know  they  do  quiz  nights  because  a  friend  I  sit  near  at  Spotland  goes  to  those.

No comments:

Post a Comment