Saturday 27 August 2011

41 The Withins - Breightmet


First  visited :  July  1993

The  Withins  is  not  actually  on  the  A58  but  clearly  visible  across  a  car  park.  It  is  a  large  family  food  pub,  the  first  of  its  kind  we've  come  across. It  has  its  own  website  and  appears  to  be  thriving.

So  what  was  I  doing  there  in  1993 ? I  was  on  a  blind  date,  meeting  a  girl  called  Marie  I'd  found  through  an  ad  in  the  Manchester  Evening  News. She  lived  nearby  and  was  of  Ukranian  descent. It  was  an  odd  date  because  she  began  by  admitting  that  quite  a  lot  of  what  she'd  written  about  herself  eg  her  age  ( she  was  younger ) wasn't  true. There  didn't  seem  any  purpose  to  these  fibs  either. She  was  fairly  attractive  with  those  pixie-ish  features  common  to  people  from  that  part  of  the  world. She  seemed  to  quite  like  me  but  I  made  a  mess  of  things  by  giving  her  the  impression  that  I  was  too  serious  too  soon. We  didn't  meet  again  and  I  haven't  been  to  The  Withins  since.



No comments:

Post a Comment